3.2.08

Yes, we can!

Most of you know that I have been a bit over-the-top about Barack Obama for a long time. I read his first book last Christmas, and his story grabbed me. Since then, I've also read The Audacity of Hope. As I read it, I would randomly quote passages of it to Andy and the kids. Every time I listen to one of his speeches, I start crying. Seriously...me...I start crying! Because of a politician!

His message inspires me to keep up the everyday fight in the urban school setting when it feels like every other politician has forgotten about 'those kids'. He gives me hope for Jaelyn and Addison and other children of color. His faith encourages me....immensely...when I've been so frustrated at other 'Christian' politicians and their corporation-favoring and violence-inducing decisions.

Yeah, maybe he'll disappoint me too, but right now, I feel more idealistic about the future of our presidency than I ever have before. "Yes we can!"

You've GOT to see this video. Warning: tears of hope may follow...
http://www.dipdive.com/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And how do you feel about his stance on abortion?

Redbaerd said...

have you read what he says about abortion, Rose? He says some eloquent things about in his book.

He's one of the first politicians to say what I believe --

that abortion is a horrible thing, but that the best way for politicians to treat it right now is NOT to attack treat a woman's choice as the cause, but to treat the LACK of women's choices as a SYMPTOM of some much deeper, much more awful problems.

That the *best* thing we can do right now is to work to create MORE choices for women (not fewer) and reduce the OTHER causes that make women feel like they have no other choice than an abortion.

So I agree with his position on that issue and on many others.

Anonymous said...

Definitely a very gifted speaker, Lynne. He has a way of tapping into our emotions...which I believe is a very powerful thing. While the video did not move me to tears, I do find this guy to be very, very interesting.

Anonymous said...

redbaerd sums up my thoughts very well. (He's a very smart man, handsome too!)

I encourage everyone to read Obama's books, especially The Audacity of Hope. He does have an immense emotional appeal, but reading his convictions and his thoughts on key political issues will appeal to your intellect as well. His chapter on faith is what cemented my earnest commitment to his campaign.