13.9.05

Soccer Irony

From the moment I pulled into the massive parking lot -- teeming with minivans and SUVs -- I knew that participating in Addison's soccer league would be a great opportunity to sharpen my wit against the bland homogeneity of suburban life. I was confident that the acres and acres of neverending green fields, that the endlessly repeated combinations of short players in blue or yellow shirts, that the coiffed hair moms and the puma-wearing dads would provide a never ending store of punchlines for my self-deprecating rants.



How did I end up here? (I'd protest) How long til they lynch us for not sticking PLaysoCCER bumper stickers on our tailgate? (I'd grimace.)



So the irony is --

That this past week at Addison's first game --

Lynn and I were FAR AND AWAY the most enthusiastic parents. Screaming with joy or agony as goals were scored or missed. Jumping and writhing in delight on the sidelines. Coaching over Coach Vince whenever the cluster of players crowded around the ball shifted toward our sideline (despite his capable leadership).



Beforehand I teased Addison that if he didn't win, we would have to spank him. Or cut off his head.

But then once the game was going, I felt like calling out. "I wasn't kidding!"

"Seriously, Boy! Get your head in the game!"

Of course I didn't. At least not TOO often.



No -- I'm kidding! I didn't yell at all. Just encouraging growls of approval at BOTH of the goals that my four year old scored.



Seriously. Two goals!? First game ever!? I think we should maybe look into a travelling team or something. Maybe we could move him up to the first grade leagues. More of a challenge...

6 comments:

Daniel Rudd said...

this is blatant plagarism of another blog!

Andrea Wagenmaker said...

Addison-

I am so proud of you and how hard you are working to be a great soccer player. I cannot believe you scored two goals in your first soccer game! You must be able to run very fast. I really hope that we can come to one of your soccer games this year. We would all love to see you play, especially Will and Isaac.

Love you and miss you, buddy.
Aunt Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
I am so excited that I finally found the Rudd blog. How great it is to read about what you all are up to.

It's great!!!

Miss you both.
Nay

Redbaerd said...

Thanks Aunt Andrea! for visiting our blog.

Uncle Daniel, go do your plagiarism policing somewhere else.

RENEE! Wha!?!?

We've been trying to find you...but couldn't! Do you have email or did we get your snail mail right? In any case -- it's GRRReat to hear from you. We both miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
I don't have your current e-mail either, and I was so glad to be able to post a comment here. Mine is jrpeiffer@highstream.net

I have been reading all of your archives and that has been really interesting. Fun to catch up. I am trying to imagine what it would be like to have you two for parents. Never a dull moment, I am quite sure. Ha. I really enjoy your style of writing Andrew. You describe everything in such detail that I feel like I was there.

Hope all is well. We are doing fine. Joe, Myself, Alexis (who is no longer "Allie"), Chloe, Mia, Smokey the cat and Ginger and Caterpillary, both caterpillars.

Have a great week.
R

Anonymous said...

Andy, It was so weird to run across your blog site- I was on David's site ( through my brother Andy) and that led to you guys. Glad to hear that you are still serving the Lord and kingdom minded. Your wife never changes- still as dynamic as ever. The picture of you as Peter Pan was hilarious. Anyway, this is Beth ( LUtz) Johnson- don't know if you remember me from the Ville or not. My blog is xanga.com/patriciajohnson
Just thought I would say hi. It was fun reading through your family updates. Congrats on tener.