22.5.04

a perfect moment

the banks of the creek behind the cemetery which borders the back of our circle overflowed by fifty and a hundred feet today. Lynn saw it on her run, and we all went down to see.

inevitably we started to wade, and as the children recognized how transgressive the moment was -- we started to frolic.

I'm always reminded that I'm in a perfect moment when I see Jaelyn Running.

She has a funny and completely authentic gesture of whirling one arm -- at full length when she's running in complete abandon. She doesn't even recognize it when she's doing it -- and can't really make it "pretend" to happen.

So today as she ran through the Knee Deep water -- splashing everywhere -- Lynn running and yelling too, Woo Hoo -- and the arm started going --

I had a flash of recognition that we had found one of THOSE moments. A moment where all the rules go hazy and all the background floats away -- where you are completely and utterly HERE -- RIGHT NOW -- with EACH OTHER.

I flopped under the water myself (brrr!) and then attempted to cross the creek. The raging creek was at my armpits and despite all my (substantial) girth fighting against the creek --> I got SWEPT AWAY.

I grapped tufts of grass and pulled myself to the submerged shore.

Addison and Jaelyn ran freely and wildly. Splashing purposely to sit down up to their necks, climbing atop an island tree or water main cap. We waved to the maintenance workers who smiled at us from their mowers and bulldozers. We tried to be subdued when mourners drove by, but it was hard.

The world was overflowing and we happened to be right in the flow of it.

No comments: